Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wandering Taksim

Surprise! I'm in Turkey!
Tourist Outfit:
Black Boyfriend Cardigan- Zara
Black and White Hearts Blouse- Target
Skinny Jeans- Target
Chucks- Gift from my big brother :)
Purse and Shades- Target!
Skull Earrings- Artifacts Gallery.

Technically it's still teacher fashion because I'm going to do some grading online later! Ha!

I jumped on the opportunity to tag along with a coworker for some environmentally-oriented professional development. Today we spent hours walking around Taksim, taking in Ex-Constantiople!

I LOVE Armenia, but I think I was in need of a bit of a spring break. It's a straight shot through semesters here- no Thanksgiving or Easter breaks, so I'm hoping this extended weekend will see me through until June.

I never thought I would go to Turkey. EVER. Historically, people of my ethnic background haven't been so welcome here. Last year I was engaged to a member of another Middle-Eastern ethnic minority, and so I had double reason never to come here. But I've been reading a lot about Istanbul lately and its political role in the formation of the modern Middle East, and I just had to see these streets for myself.

It is indeed where East meets West! I may be particularly giddy because I think this is how I imagined Armenia- Kebab and chestnuts sold on every street corner, fruits to choose from for your juice at lunch.

My fashion pick of my day in Taksim:

This fabulous Vogue Cover dress! 

 Looooooooove it!
It was 60% off in a cute little boutique, but I'm saving my mad cash for some accessories at the Grand Bazaar- stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment